|Project Title||Culture in Urbanization Schemes: Art in Public Spaces Across Southeast Asian Cities|
|Project Abstract||The research project considers the role of culture in globalizing and increasingly urbanizing contexts. It looks at three platforms of cultural production within the locus of the city-state commissioned, corporate-funded and those initiated by artists and artist collective. The project aims to consider the potentials inherent in art for understanding and making better contemporary urban life.|
|Profession / Affiliation||Assistant Professor, Department of Art Studies University of the Philippines-Diliman|
|Area of Speciality / Topics of Interests||Art history, contemporary public art practice, urbanization|
|Recent Publications / Activities||Selected recent publications:|
1) “Creative Mediations of the City: Contemporary public art as compass of Metro Manila urban conditions” April 2013. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 37:3. MA and Oxford: Wiley- Blackwell, 864-878.
2) “Public Art, Urban renewal and the Construction of a National History: The Revive Manila Program and the New Manileno Campaign” in The Transforming Asian City, 2012 edited by Nihal Perera and Wing-Shing Tang. New York and London: Routledge, 52-64.
3) “Sining Publiko at ang Siyudad: Mga kontemporaryong lapit at halimbawa” / Public art and the city: Contemporary approaches and examples Sining at Lipunan (Art and Society), Quezon City: Sentro ng Wikang Filipino, Unibersidad ng Pilipinas-Diliman (forthcoming 2013)
4) “Piety and Place: Terrains of faith in the art of Alfredo Esquillo and Renato Habulan”
(catalogue essay) Semblance and Presence exhibition, Singapore: National University of Singapore Museum.
“Ephemeral and Place-less: Emergent public art modalities in Baguio public art festival”(Public art project review), Culture 360.org (Asia-Europe Foundation) (http://culture360.org/magazine/ephemeral-and-place-less-emergent-public-art-modalities/)
6) “Urban Decay, Redemption and the Feminized City: Cinematic representations of Revive Manila’s renovated parks” Suri Sining: The Art Studies Anthology. 2011. Quezon City: Art Studies Foundation, 227-237.
7) “Dissonant Enchantments: The resonant object and Kawayan de Guia’s Bomba”
Humanities Diliman. 2010. 7:2, 132-139.
8) “Invisible States, Peripheral Sites: Artistic Negotiations of the Urban” Agham Tao. 2010. 19, 38-47.
9) “The Publics of Public Art: Premise and Possibility (journal essay)
Pananaw 7: A Journal of Visual Arts. 2010, 80-91.
|Other Selected Publications / Activities|
|Homepage / Blog / Website||https://wordsmithwoman.wordpress.com/|
|[ print ] [ close ]|